Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The Pot Au Fer

This is one of the earliest known cannons used in the Hundred Years War. These cannons were experimental and the military did not know if they would work but used them and they were very successful. This particular cannon was built under King Edward III during England's invasion of Scotland. Before the cannons were built, all artillery were launched using catapults and trebuchets, which were all about shock over damage. They came on with the most force in the very last battle of the Hundred Years War, Castillon of Gascony where the French came to battle with more than 300 cannons in use.

1 comment:

  1. I was surprised at the effectiveness of the cannon, despite the picture. I didn't expect it to be very efficient, but it is quite the opposite. Although, I noticed that you're missing the cost of the weapon.

    ReplyDelete