This cannon was built in the 1800's. It is a "signal" cannon. These were used on ships to signal other ships or even the crew of its host ship. They could signal danger, oncoming ships, or warn ships to stay away. Through out the 16, 17, and 1800's canno designs remained very much the same. It was not until the late 1800's early 1900's that the designs took a turn for the better.Tuesday, February 17, 2009
Signal Cannon
This cannon was built in the 1800's. It is a "signal" cannon. These were used on ships to signal other ships or even the crew of its host ship. They could signal danger, oncoming ships, or warn ships to stay away. Through out the 16, 17, and 1800's canno designs remained very much the same. It was not until the late 1800's early 1900's that the designs took a turn for the better.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I've never heard of this cannon before and I thought it was interesting to create a cannon not for war, but for signaling. I've noticed that you're missing the creator, cost, nation used, and the personnel required to use weapon.
ReplyDelete